click-to-call from the web

Call   Toll   Free           (855) GET-JUDY


  Mobile /  SMS        

(203)  257 - 5892 


Search This Site

Real Estate Agents Directory - Find Homes for Sale 


 Add to Technorati Favorites

Top Real Estate blogs

Find the best blogs at

The CT Realty Blog - Blogged Real Estate Blogs Blog Search Engine   Blog Directory & Search engine    Real Estate Blog DirectoryBusiness Directory for Fairfield, Connecticut Blog Directory Blogs lists and reviews






 Newtown, Connecticut

Newtown, Connecticut Quick Facts: Land area is approximately 58 Square miles and the elevation is 465 feet. Incorporated in 1711, Newtown  currently  has about 26,011 residents in 8,491 households, 89% of which are owner occupied.  Approximately 19.3% of the housing stock was built prior to 1950. The 2012-2013 Tax Rate begins at 24.37 mills. See the 2011-2012 property tax rates for Newtown here.

Check out our 12 page detailed demographic report HERE. 


Newtown is  a Connecticut town that is rich in history, and the residents of this town are proud of their heritage, with good reason. Purchased from the Pohtatuck Indians in 1705, and originally known as Quanneapague, Newtown was originally part of Stratford and incorporated in 1711. The end of the revolution began here in 1781, when French General Rochambeau and his troops camped here and began their famous march to the siege of Yorktown, Virginia.  There are many well known local landmarks, including the flagpole, built in 1876.

Residents refer to the flagpole while giving out-of-towners directions, and its not something you will miss. The Newtown Meeting House, is just across the street from "The Flagpole" is home to the rooster weathervane. Fairfield Hills Hospital  was built in the 1930's, and was the locale for the 1995 movie, "Sleepers". It is no longer a hospital, as the town purchased the grounds and is currently the home of the Newtown Youth Academy (NYA)

Take a Virtual Tour of Newtown below

Given the rural nature of Newtown in its early days, small community  pockets began cropping up. Within one year, settlers took advantage of the Potatuck River in Sandy Hook, which was home to many grist mills. When the village, or  Borough of Newtown was incorporated in 1824, it also earned the right to tax its residents for all of the additional services that it rendered by necessity beyond what Newtown offered. For example, ithe first hook and ladder fire truck was  supplied by the borough in 1883..Other neighborhoods are Lake Zoar, Botsford, Hawleyville, Taunton, Hattertown, Dodgingtown and Head of Meadow

Some historical buildings and landmarks in town:
The Flagpole at the center of town
The Matthew Curtiss House- which is also the Historical Society's Headquarters
The Edmond Town Hall is also recognized  for its movie theater
Cyrenius H. Booth Library- built in 1932,  considered ahead of its time by construction standards, was one of the first fireproof libraries in the country.
Rochambeau's Army  Camps  10 & 41, and "The March Route" on Reservoir Road
John Glover House
Hattertown Historic District
Caleb Baldwin Tavern 

Probably the best known recreational facilities in town are Eichler's Cove Marina and Boat Launch at Lake Zoar, and Lake Lillinonah- no swimming here, but beautiful views of the lake and a boat launch.  There are portable bathroom facilities and parking. Others include the Orchard Hill Nature Center with its two mills dating back to the early 1800's, and Dickinson Memorial Park


Property Search
Min $
Max $

TRIVIA: The game of Scrabble was developed here by James Brunot
The Borough of Newtown is only about one square mile.


Main   The CT Home Blog   Property Search   E-mail Judy