click-to-call from the web

Call   Toll   Free           (855) GET-JUDY


  Mobile /  SMS        

(203)  257 - 5892 


Search This Site

Real Estate Agents Directory - Find Homes for Sale 


 Add to Technorati Favorites

Top Real Estate blogs

Find the best blogs at

The CT Realty Blog - Blogged Real Estate Blogs Blog Search Engine   Blog Directory & Search engine    Real Estate Blog DirectoryBusiness Directory for Fairfield, Connecticut Blog Directory Blogs lists and reviews






Seymour, Connecticut

Seymour, Connecticut Quick Facts: Land area is approximately 15 Square miles and the elevation is 175 feet. Incorporated in 1850, Seymour  currently  has about  15,957 residents in 6,265 households, 69% of which are owner occupied.  Approximately 27.7% of the housing stock was built prior to 1950. The 2012-2013 Tax Rate is 32.83 mills. See the 2011-2012 property tax rate for Seymour here.

Check out our 12 page detailed demographic report HERE. 


Seymour is located in western New Haven County, Connecticut and celebrated its 150th birthday on June 24, 2000.  Originally part of Derby,  Seymour  was originally named Chusetown in the early 1800's , and later called Humphreysville, in honor of the revered General Humphreys, friend and confidante of George Washington, and early manufacturing entrepreneur. Settlers in Derby who utilized the Naugatuck River began a northbound migration, and moved into what is today know as Seymour.  Leman Chatfield, among others led the charge to Hartford  to incorporate, and the name Richmond was tossed about, but the townspeople eventually settled upon the name of Seymour,  to honor Governor Thomas H. Seymour. Neighborhoods within Seymour include Great Hill, Skokorat, Bungay and Cedar Ridge.

The town prospered  and attracted furniture, cloth, cotton  manufacturers, and  the Merino wool mill  located at the falls that Humphreys began started this boon. The Waterman Pen Company,  and eventually the Bic Pen Company had its beginnings here, too-starting out at the H.P.&E. Day Company, who produced pencils, fountain pens and the like. The New Haven Copper Company, credited with the invention of polished copper, was  situated in Seymour even before it became incorporated.

Seymour built its first public high school on Bank Street in 1884, complete with plumbing,  and it was considered to be one of the best high schools in the state.  As  with Derby and other Valley towns on the Naugatuck River, The Great Flood of 1955 caused by Hurricane Diane was a major setback. Deemed "Black Friday", the Naugatuck River  overthrew its banks and massive amounts of water enveloped Waterbury, Naugatuck, Beacon Falls and Seymour, and a number of other towns. The downtown area sustained the most damage, and a number of bridges were rendered unsafe, impassable or unstable because the footings were damaged in the flood.

Seymour has a number of parks including French Memorial, Casagrande Field, Gary Park, home of "Castles in the Park", Katherine Matthies Field, Sochrin Park, Chatfield Park and 209 acres at Little-Laurel Lime Ridge with outstanding views of the Housatonic River and Valley. 

Rail transportation is available right downtown  with commuter rail service to Bridgeport, Stamford and New York City's Grand Central terminal  via the Waterbury Branch of Metro-North's New Haven line.


Property Search
Min $
Max $


Main   The CT Home Blog   Property Search   E-mail Judy